Mastering Your Makeup: How To series... Face; The Base

21:58:00

To begin my ‘How To’ series, I think it is only fair to start with the base because ‘I'm all about the base’ Different bass* I know, but I love that tune!

Anyway many of you have requested things like contouring, eye liner and lashes and I will talk you through them as best I can with pictures over the coming weeks but for me, there is no point learning how to contour your face if you don't even have the basics on right.

For that reason, we are talking prepping your face today!

I start with a clean moisturised face. When you clean your face and apply your moisturiser with your finger tips, go and do something else for a few minutes and really leave your skin soak up the goodness of the moisturiser, sometimes I feel people rush in to use other products and for a really good makeup application, time can be really important. 

When you are ready to start, have a look at your skin before lashing on the primer. Primer is a really important feature in my makeup looks but it’s not a case of lashing loads on and hoping for the best. Primer can help makeup stay on the skin absolutely and even out the surface but again it’s up to you to know what your face needs. My skin can get quite an oily t-zone so I use a mattifying or oil-free primer on that area to help with the shine. My cheeks are not particularly oily or dry so sometimes, I won’t put any primer on them, I decided on the day how my skin feels. This I usually put on with my fingers just to make sure it’s good and rubbed in.



Ugh I don't love the befores I won't lie!

The next step is optional and again some days I don't feel I need them at all but last weekend I just wanted a really clean base so this is your concealing/correcting time. I have a really great concealer palette I got from AYU last year that really does the job on my dark circle and sore looking spot kinda days. I take a little product and put it only where’s needed. I don't like a really heavy feel to my makeup even if I have loads on so just be careful, you don't want to waste product you've spent your money on. I applied just a little of the colours I needed with a little brush named Emma, this is part of the new Artistic collection brushes from Nima brush and had to be the 1st one I bought seeing as it has my name. It’s a really handy little concealer brush I have to say. 



Then it’s onto foundation. There are a million and one ways to apply foundation (slight exaggeration there) but I like to use a circular/buffing motion when I am putting foundation on my skin. There is a brush which has featured so many times on my blog but that’s because my hand will reach for it and it’s the F20 by Blank Canvas Cosmetics. A similar type of brush to this is the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush and the Nima Flat Head Kabuki Brush. These brands are so well known with bloggers in Ireland and around world but again it does sometimes come down to money, they are not overly expensive but with good care last ages, look good and work well with any foundations.  

As I said earlier, I have an oily t-zone so I like a good coverage, almost matte look to my makeup. On days like last Saturday though I wanted some sort of glow on my skin so I mixed in some Mememe Angels with Halos illuminator with my MAC Studio Fix Foundation which I have been wearing on nights out since I'm about 18!! I put little dots around my face with the brush and then begin the circle motion. It takes a little time but be sure to cover right into your hairline and depending on how well you have matched the foundation to your skin, you may need to go just to the jawline or bring it down your neck. 




Moody Emma to happy Emma ;)

I would then move onto my brows or go make a cup of tea as it's really important to let the foundation sit on your skin for a few moments before you start adding more product. I will of course be doing a whole 'how to' post on brows so don't panic. Once the tea is in front of me (or the brows are done) it's time to set your face with some powder. I apply my powder with another of my fave blank canvas brushes the f25 big powder brush.


Again for this look I used the translucent shade of this Blank Canvas Cosmetics palette. Apologies I didn't take a picture but I will feature it in other posts. I set where I feel gets most oil but just like mentioned above, while letting my foundation set on my face, I don't apply powder to my under eye area and I also use a liquid highlighter which will feature in the next post on highlighting and contouring.

So for the base let's go through it again;

  • Cleanse your face.
  • Apply moisturiser (leave this to soak in?
  • Apply primer where you need it. (I suggest when you are buying it, chat to the sales girls they're very helpful)
  • Apply correctors (again if needed, purple on dark circles & green on red blemishes)
  • Apply foundation (dotted on the face, blend in and work outward from the nose)
  • *Leave your foundation to set in- Have tea or do your brows ;) *
  • Set your face with powder (not around the eye area if you liquid highlight)

That's it for our 1st how to... if there is anything I've left out or anything else you want to know, please feel free to contact me here or on the blog page on Facebook.




<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-58149039-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is written very well you are a very good writer. I am agree with you. Hope you will Carry on writing in the same way. Thumbs Up!

    How to take off makeup the right way

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel in verse, about a basketball-playing teen, cheap ray bans is the first book for middle-graders from Alexander, a veteran author who has published more than 20 books. The ray ban wayfarers online Randolph Caldecott Medal for most distinguished picture book for children was awarded to "The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend" by Dan Santat. Santat, who lives in Southern California, ray ban sunglasses australia is the creator of "The Replacements," a Disney Channel series.

    ReplyDelete